When we talk about the Panama Canal you have to think about all the rules and procedures to follow for transit.
In this article, we are going to explain some of the things that apply for different areas like transportation, the equipment, and the toll.
The information you need to transit the Panama Canal
There is a regulation that controls the activities related to the navigation of ships in the waters that are within the area of compatibility with the operation of the Canal, it contains some regulations that are divided into articles:
1. The ships must have on board a copy of the regulation referred to the navigation on the canal waters.
2. The Panama Canal Authorities will establish the requirements and conditions of stability, list, trim, draft, load, hull, machinery, and of any other nature, in order to allow the transit of the ship and guarantee its safety and that of the Canal personnel and structures.
3. The vessel that does not meet the requirements to transit normally, may only do so with the express authorization of the Authority, provided that it signs a document by which it is released from all liability.
4. The authorities can deny the exit of every vessel that provokes damage or harm to the canal, his personnel, their team, the goods or facilities. Also if they break some
5. The embarkation or disembarkation not authorized by the Authority of the ships that are in waters of the canal, constitutes a danger against the security of the navigation.
6. The ships are subject to inspection with the objective to guarantee the application of the legal arrangements.
How to continue your transit through the Panama Canal without any trouble?
Then you have the paperwork of your ship, you need to count with the requirements for your equipment. Is demanded by the authorities of the canal that every ship that crosses must be equipped with 4 lines of defense to avoid damages during the lockage, and 4 lines of resistance that are suitable for the size of the boat in case of an emergency.
Other details like an anchor with no delay and a functional horn are also required.
These requirements are an important step for traveling through the Panama Canal, that’s why is so important to have a shipping agent that guides you with all. In this order, now we can talk about the tolls of the canal.
These tolls are taxed according to the net tonnage based on the internal volume of the ship, and if it is loaded or in ballast as determined by the archer.
The payment can be managed through a local agency with bank guarantees or could be done through Citibank that is located on Balboa and Cristobal.
How to pay
At the moment you decide to pay, that has to be at least 48 hours in advance, you must do it in US dollars in cash. For presenting direct payments is necessary to present the correct form of Tonnage Clearance and Inspection of Small Vessels.
The payment for the Pacific sector is located on Balboa, and you can pay from Monday to Friday; in the case of the payment on the Atlantic sector, the Citibank is located at the Cristobal docks and works with the same schedule that the one on the Pacific.